Be aware that malicious third parties posing as LogMeIn or join.me have been known to send suspicious emails to LogMeIn and join.me users and to members of the general public. Examples
A typical scam involves an email that mimics the design and style of official LogMeIn or join.me communications.
Here are some examples of real scams:
What should you do?
- A recent known example (February 2015) mimics a LogMeIn invoice (link to blog post in English only)
- Another known example (April 2014) has the subject "Your LogMeIn digital certificate has expired!"
- One known example was modeled after our notification email regarding account lock-out due to a certain number of failed login attempts.
- Another known example mentions a bogus software update and includes a false link to an alleged software patch. LogMeIn, including join.me and Cubby, will never contact you with a software update attached to an email.
- As a general rule, never click any links in a suspicious email!
- Always check if links in the emails are valid. Here's how:
- Hover your mouse over a link and pause until you see the link's destination, shown in an infotip (Outlook) or at the bottom of your browser (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).
- If a link does not point to a site that you know is an official LogMeIn service or domain, please contact us immediately.
- Even if a link seems to point to a LogMeIn site, DO NOT CLICK if you are at all suspicious!
- Please contact our support team. We may ask you to forward the entire email so we can track down the perpetrators.
- If you inadvertently click a link, we suggest contacting your anti-virus service for guidance.
Sample official LogMeIn, join.me, and LastPass "from" email addresses:
Sample official domains:
- .logmein.com – LogMeIn's main site
- .logmeinrescue.com – Powers the LogMeIn Rescue service
- .logmeinrescue-enterprise.com – Powers account-specific Rescue features (should only be whitelisted by enterprise accounts)
- .accounts.logme.in – Site allowing login to LogMeIn services
- .hamachi.cc – Powers the LogMeIn Hamachi service
- .LogMeIn123.com – Site used to connect to a LogMeIn Rescue technician
- .123rescue.com – Site used to connect to a LogMeIn Rescue technician
- .join.me – LogMeIn's screen sharing service
- .cubby.com – LogMeIn's cloud storage and syncing service
- .lastpass.com – LogMeIn's password management service