Two-step verification adds a second layer of protection to your account.
Once you set up two-step verification, your login procedure changes: After entering your LogMeIn ID and password, you are also required to verify your identity using either a mobile authenticator app or text message (or using a backup method, which can be either text message or email).
Setup using LastPass Authenticator
Setup involves two main tasks.
- First, set up your primary method for receiving login codes (this will be LastPass Authenticator)
- Second, set up either text message or email as a backup method in case your primary is not available.
Let's take a closer look. This procedure describes setup using our own LastPass Authenticator. The procedure is similar for other popular authenticator apps.
- Log in to your account at LogMeIn.com using your LogMeIn ID (email address) and password.
- At the top of the page, click Settings and then Account Settings. The Account Settings page is displayed.
- Under Security, look for Two-step verification and click get started. Read the introductory information and click again to get started. The Protect your account page is displayed.
- On the Protect your account page, click Set up mobile app.
- If you already have LastPass Authenticator, simply click Next. The Set up mobile page is displayed. You should see a scannable QR code.
Tip: You can download the app from this site: https://lastpass.com/auth/.
- Launch LastPass Authenticator on your device and scan the QR code, as follows:
- On the LastPass Authenticator app, tap the + (plus) sign.
- Physically hold your device in front of the LogMeIn website to scan the code.
A message is displayed confirming that your device has been paired to your LogMeIn account. Tap to dismiss the message.
- Returning to the LogMeIn website, you must now choose the backup method to use when your primary method is unavailable. Here's how:
- To receive login codes via text message:
- Click Set up text message.
- Enter the phone number to which login codes should be sent and click Next. A code is sent.
- Go to your phone and open the text message from LogMeIn.
- Enter the code from the text message on the Verify phone number page.
- Click Finish text setup.
- To receive login codes via email:
- Click Set up email.
- Enter the email address you want to use to receive codes. To use the same address you use to log in to LogMeIn, click Use your LogMeIn ID.
- Go to your email inbox and open the message from LogMeIn.
- Enter the code on the Set up email page in your browser.
- Click Finish email setup.
- Finally, click Activate at the bottom of the page to actually turn on two-step verification.
What to expect after setup
- LastPass Authenticator: Tap the on-screen notification to confirm your identity.
- Authenticator app other than LastPass Authenticator: Enter a one-time code that you get from the paired authenticator app.
- Text message: Enter the one-time code sent to the number.
- Primary method is unavailable: Request a code via your backup.
How to switch off two-step verification
You may want to switch off two-step verification if you get a new device or no longer want to take advantage of the feature.
Remember: You may be required by your administrator to use two-step verification.
- Log in to your account using your LogMeIn ID (email address) and password. The Computers page is displayed.
- At the top of the Computers page, click Settings and then Account Settings. The Account settings page is displayed.
- Under Security, click Switch off. You may be prompted to confirm your identity and review your settings before actually switching off two-step verification.
- To remove pairing for all existing devices, select Clear all settings when I switch off.
Tip: LogMeIn will still be listed in your app, but any login codes it generates will not be accepted. To avoid confusion, we recommend removing LogMeIn from your app.
- Click the Switch off button.
Where is two-step verification valid?
Two-step verification works with LogMeIn products and components that allow login via accounts.logme.in, LogMeIn's common login service. Certain legacy products and components do not meet this requirement.
With two-step verification, you will be able
to log in with the following components, versions, sites:
- LogMeIn host software for Windows, 4.1.4141 and above
- LogMeIn host software for Mac, 4.1.4132 and above
- LogMeIn for iOS app, all versions
- LogMeIn for Android app, all versions except "Ignition" branded versions
- join.me (all components), all versions
You will be unable to log in to the following components:
- LogMeIn Backup
- Legacy versions of LogMeIn Ignition for Windows: Please switch to the LogMeIn Client desktop app before using two-step verification
- Legacy versions of LogMeIn Ignition for Android: Please upgrade to the LogMeIn for Android app